Friday, May 3, 2013

Adalyn

I was reading another person's blog the other night. It was a blog about their child's fight with cancer. Their child had lost the fight. The father spoke so beautifully about his child's life; things he used to do, things the father should have done, his infectious smile. I couldn't help but think about Adalyn. I couldn't imagine watching her suffer and knowing that her short little life would soon be taken from her. It brings me to tears just thinking about it. Adalyn has been a part of our lives for only thirteen weeks, and yet, I could not imagine life without her.

I never understood the need to become rich, or famous, or be so vain that aging becomes an issue. Jon often hears me say that if I make it to 30, or 40, or 50, or 60, or beyond, I won't cry and become upset because the time has slipped away, and I have become "old." I will say "Hell yeah! I made it this far!"

Some people aren't that lucky...

If I could choose a life for Adalyn, it wouldn't be that she was the most beautiful girl in the world, or that she becomes incredibly rich or famous. I just want her to recognize the beauty of life. I want her to feel the love of her family, find great friends, cherish the love she has with another, become a mother, be able to stare into her child's eyes and be amazed at how such a tiny little life could cause so much love in her heart. I want her to grow old, to look back at her life and smile at how blessed of a life she has been given.

Just as I have.

I have barely lived a life yet, only being 24 years old. I can say that everything that I have been given is a blessing. I cannot fathom how I was so lucky to have such a beautiful life, but I do cherish every moment of it.

I hope she is this lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment