Saturday, June 15, 2013

Homemade cleaning wipes

So, on my escapade to become a slightly crunchy mama, I decided that I would try making my own cleaning wipes. 

Pre-crunchy mama loooved Lysol disinfectant wipes for cleaning. I am a naturally messy person when cooking, so having wipe for a quick clean after cooking is so nice. Recently, I did some research on the products I use. I was not happy with what I found on the disinfectant wipes. So, I decided to make my own!

I have seen recipes for homemade baby wipes using paper towel, so I figured why not use it for this?
My homemade cleaning wipes
I cut a roll of paper towel in half. I would recommend splurging on the paper towel, and getting the nice thick stuff. I got some cheaper store brand stuff and found that the paper towel gets pretty thin, so I end up using more at one time.

I mixed Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap (unscented baby--I purchased mine at Target) with tea tree oil, lavender, and distilled water. I did not use specific measuring for the ingredients, but I think i was something close to this:

1-2 tsp Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap

3-4 drops tea tree oil

3-4  drops lavender

4 cups distilled water


Left side=my mess, Right side=cleaned with the homemade wipes! 
No joke, I am this messy after only one time using the stove...
I used an old (clean) coffee container--it actually fit pretty well. I took out the cardboard part in the middle of the paper towel and put the paper towel in the coffee container. I poured the mixture over the paper towel and let it soak in. 

Voila! Very easy to make! And very good for clean-ups too!
Yay! Clean stove after messy me cooked dinner!

Update: I made another batch of the cleaning wipes. This time, I used sweet orange essential oil instead of lavender. It works great!! And it smells great too! I still had my other half of the paper towel from the first batch, so I will update later when I make more with a higher quality paper towel. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment